Auditions are announced for our Summer Musical Theater Intensive production of URINETOWN: The Musical. This program encompasses professional theatrical education, training and performing experiences for area students aged 13-19 and culminates in a fully-staged performance at the Carrboro Arts Center the weekend of August 9-11 which is open to the public. The cost for the intensive is $490.
Auditions will be held on Friday 3/15 from 4:00-7:00 and Saturday, 3/16 from 1:00-4:00 at Chapel Hill School of Musical Arts (1829 East Franklin, #500, CH), those interested are asked to prepare the following:
- A one-minute cut of the song of your choice, memorized, which showcases your vocal range, type and style
- A one-minute monologue, memorized, from a contemporary play
- A completed audition form
Callbacks will be held Sunday, 3/17 from 2:00-5:00.
Group rehearsals for the production will be held four times per week between July 8 and August 8. Individual and small-group music and acting coaching will also scheduled when students are available between June 9 and June 22.
TO REQUEST FURTHER INFORMATION &/OR SCHEDULE AN AUDITION TIME, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
ABOUT OUR SMTI PROGRAM: Our special summer musical theater intensive program offers students “the best of all possible worlds”:
- The chance to work with music and theater professionals who will help develop their skills in singing, acting and movement.
- The unique opportunity to work with students from other schools around the area who love performing.
- The opportunity to create a fully-realized musical from start to finish – the ultimate in performing arts experience.
- The ability to increase their understanding of the history of acting and theater, it’s various styles and manifestations and how they relate to this particular show.
ABOUT THE SHOW:
Winner of three Tony Awards, three Outer Critics Circle Awards, two Lucille Lortel Awards and two Obie Awards, Urinetown is an hilarious musical satire of the legal system, capitalism, social irresponsibility, populism, bureaucracy, corporate mismanagement, municipal politics and musical theatre itself! Just what we need in 2019.
In a Gotham-like city, a terrible water shortage, caused by a 20-year drought, has led to a government-enforced ban on private toilets. The citizens must use public amenities, regulated by a single malevolent company that profits by charging admission for one of humanity’s most basic needs. Amid the people, a hero decides that he’s had enough and plans a revolution to lead them all to freedom!
Inspired by the works of Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill, Urinetown is an irreverently humorous satire in which no musical style or social construct is safe from scrutiny. Boasting a cast with many diverse roles and an active ensemble, Urinetown is the perfect vehicle for our SMTI students to learn character creation and development, the historical facets of theatrical satire, and how to grow and hone their musical, movement and acting abilities.