CHSMA will be OPEN on Tuesday, December 11th with a delayed opening of 3:00 PM. Teachers will reach out to affected students about their status today.
How does CHSMA make the decision to open or close?
We look at three criteria when making the decision to close due to inclement weather:
- Public school closures – Our office hours are later in the day, so we often don’t have to worry about early morning conditions. As such, we’re often not affected by schools on a delayed schedule. We review the announcements for Orange County Public Schools, Durham Public Schools and the Chapel Hill/Carrboro School District before making the decision to close.
- Current weather predictions – We look at several sources including the National Weather Service, The Weather Channel and WRAL.
- Site inspection – We look at whether the roads are actually passable and if the parking lot is safe.
How does CHSMA notify students when school is closed due to weather?
Monday through Friday, the announcement to close will be made no later than 10AM. Saturday closures will be determined and announced by Friday evening. We attempt to notify students four different ways:
- We post our weather alert icon on the homepage. That leads to this page which is routinely updated with specific information. We use a static webpage so you can bookmark it to check later for further updates.
- We send an email to all students through our mass email system.
- Teachers are asked to contact their affected students.
Will this lesson be made up?
When CHSMA decides it is in the safest interest of our teachers and students to close for bad weather, the lessons are guaranteed to be made up. This does not count towards student initiated make-ups.